[Olpcaustria] Acer startet den Preiskampf - 150 Euro Netbook

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 24 04:17:24 CET 2009

Robert Keyes schrieb:
> Hello,

Hi Bob,

> Last week I ordered a refurbished Asus EEE 900A from Ebay 'buy-it-now' for
> $169.99 + $11.99 shipping (in USA). It is similar to the Acer that Christoph
> mentions, but it comes with only 4GB SSD and 1GB RAM. It is slow and painful
> and unreliable! I have since bought a 16GB flash module by SuperTalent, on
> NewEgg.com for $45. It is supposed to be much faster. I haven't installed "Easy
> Peasy" (eee ubuntu) yet, but that is my plan.
>
> I must stress that the problem is only secondarily the 4GB size. The primary
> problems are a bad Linux version (Xandros), and slow SSD. Make sure you compare
> SSD speed when comparing netbooks!

You certainly raise a good point, the SSD is often a bottleneck when it
comes to overall system performance!

Do you happen to be aware of any reviews or comparisons of netbooks
including details about SSD performance?

Also, please let us know how Easy Peasy (what a stupid name!) works out
for you!

Cheers,
Christoph