[Olpcaustria] Fwd: [Reminder ]Linuxwochen Wien - Call For Papers

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Fri Feb 13 10:01:30 CET 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Michael Bauer wrote:

>> On a sidenote: Tano and me were today at the WKO and listen to
>> Viennas
>> "Top Elektriker" who were talking about solar power.
>> So the vision there is that in the long run the "Einspeisetarif" will
>> be equal or lower to the costs for electricity from the grid.
>
> What the fuck is an Einspeisetarif? Does it mean I have to pay if I
> want to
> use the electricity produced by my own solar grid? Actually I was
> thinking
> about convincing my house to build a solar grid once the roof has to
> be
> fixed.

It is the fee that you get from the grid for pumping in electricity.
In most EU countries you get ~ 50 cents (or a bit less) for every KWh
that you put into the grid.
This is effectively a trade promotion . We have that in Germany, Czech
Republic, Italy, .... it depends of a variety of factors.
Anyway, we don't have that in Austria. Hence nobody is building
photovoltaic power stations (large investments!).
However if energy prices rise ("Einspeisetarif Paritaet") then it
suddenly makes total sense for everybody to buy a photovoltaic
installation for his/her roof.
Currently people in Austria buy it who really believe in it (or who
want to save the environment). A high "Einspeisetarif" effectively
helps the population to slowly become energy self sufficient - that
would be the idea. But we don't have any such promotion.

That was a very brief summary of the talk yesterday. I could not check
this for correctness yet - but maybe a summary is interesting.

>> Which is exactly another puzzle piece in the quest for self relying ,
>> free, autonomous structures:
>> * free and open source software
>> * free and open source networks (funkfeuer, ...)
>> * free and open source education - a competition of the best ideas,
>> teachers. Access to know how for everybody
>> * free, renewable power to supply all those needs

* yes and i forgot currencies ;-)

> No, it's all about having things in the hands of the public. Having
> participatory infrastructure, software, education, hardware and
> energy.

:)